[tz] posix and right directories?

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Tue Mar 5 20:17:10 UTC 2024

On 2024-03-05 06:11, Bill Seymour via tz wrote:
> Is there some document that explains what the posix and right
> subdirectories in my Linux' /usr/share/zoneinfo are all about?  Are they a
> regular Zoneinfo thing, or are they somehow specific to Debian Linux?

This is covered in the Makefile: look for the strings "posix_right" and
"right_posix".

Debian still uses the scheme that TZDB used before 1998. That scheme has
problems (see the Makefile comments before the "right_posix:" lines) but
I guess they're willing to live with the problems.

To some extent this stuff will become obsolescent once leap seconds are
discontinued. It'll still be an issue for old timestamps of course.