[tz] [musl] Re: Weird PST8PDT and EST5EDT behavior on Alpine Linux

Guy Harris gharris at sonic.net
Tue Mar 5 22:12:29 UTC 2024

On Mar 5, 2024, at 2:03 PM, Russ Allbery <eagle at eyrie.org> wrote:

> I don't see any reference to the leading colon in that documentation.  Am
> I just missing something?

No, you aren't.

> It seems to support what I said: PST8PDT was supported, but :PST8PDT was not.

Yes.  As I indicated, they didn't have tzdb code (if they did, that would be a surprise, as the tzdb project didn't exist in 1979/1980), and they didn't support any POSIX extensions to TZ (if they did, that would be a surprise as, at least according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POSIX, the first POSIX standard came out in 1988).