[tz] Portugal

Tim Parenti tim at timtimeonline.com
Tue Mar 12 22:51:59 UTC 2024

(was: error Portugal 1980)

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 at 18:45, Alois Treindl via tz <tz at iana.org> wrote:

> I have the impression that the document form the Lisbon astronomical
> observatory, which I linked in my first post, is quite reliable.
>
> https://oal.ul.pt/hora-legal/legislacao-sobre-a-hora-legal/

Yes, I had gotten the same impression when I began my research on this in
2021, though I did find what appears to be at least one error in even the
Observatory's data based on the laws I inspected.

>  It names the law numbers, which are easy to find here
> https://diariodarepublica.pt/dr/home

Of course, but there are over 50 referenced decrees and ordinances, and the
Observatory's listing for continental Portugal didn't mention the islands
when we already knew there was some divergence from the mainland in the
1980s.  Hence the call for assistance earlier.

Thankfully, the Observatory has another page that lists the laws currently
in force for the mainland and the islands:
https://oal.ul.pt/hora-legal/legislacao/
Using those references, I was able to work backward through each
law's revocations and abrogations to a clearer point, constructing a
history for the islands.  (Without those footholds, I would have had
nowhere to even start.)

Attached is a draft patch summing up the results of this research for the
Portuguese mainland, the islands, and some of its former overseas
territories.  It is not yet ready for merge, as it still needs a NEWS item
and commit message which I'll work on shortly, but more importantly it
needs review from the list.  There are a few editorial/stylistic decisions
I made, mostly to keep things simpler, that could be changed if there are
compelling reasons… but it should mostly only need spot-checks for
correctness, which hopefully the added commentary will help with.

The patch can also be reviewed (temporarily) on GitHub at:
https://github.com/timparenti/tz-development/commit/0588a349673bfd5b4edadb3e5c66266854ebf08e

--
Tim Parenti