[tz] mktime() clarification

brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca brian.inglis at systematicsw.ab.ca
Tue Mar 26 03:52:45 UTC 2024

On 2024-03-25 19:53, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> "brian.inglis--- via tz" <tz at iana.org> writes:
>> It would be more informative to state the platform and compiler you
>> used, show the results you got, and explain what you think it means.
>
> I didn't expect my audience to be wilfully obtuse.  As I've already
> stated and emphasized, POSIX does not guarantee or require that errno is
> not modified by a successful call.  Given the input from my example,
> tzcode will set errno to EOVERFLOW before returning successfully.

So you are running tzcode mktime on some unspecified platform, compiler, and
library, and that implementation happens to return that result, unless it
happens that implementation's printf set errno to EOVERFLOW, before printing it.

Other platforms, libraries, and mktime implementations may produce different
results: one platform I tested set errno = 2 ENOENT as posixrules is not
installed, but time_t was as expected.

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry