[UA-discuss] IDN Implementation Guidelines [RE: Re : And now about phishing...]

Dusan Stojicevic dusan at dukes.in.rs
Fri Apr 21 21:43:56 UTC 2017

Hi Andrew,

If I want to expand the character repertoire of identifiers to encompass all
the chars humans use, I will get - Unicode. :)  As a person who want
Internet on Unicode, not on ASCII, this is something you can expect from me.
:) Now seriously, I agree mostly with you, "bug" is not new (the guy just
invest few dollars to get some thousand dollars for telling to Google what
we knew for many years), but - if we start to address this problem just as
"ASCII brands confusion with other scripts (and most brands are written in
Latin script)", soon we will get back to ASCII Internet - which is just
starting with making IDNs second-class URLs, and ending with no interest
from users.
And I agree with you - we will have a lot of potential confusion (whatever
we do to solve this), and that's what we need to discuss - maybe I am wrong,
maybe we need to use languages not only scripts, not sure - but this way,
how developers and registries are addressing this issue, is leading to an
end of IDNs as something usable.
And agree with you that this group can do useful things, that's why I am
here :)

Cheers,
Dusan