[UA-discuss] Regular Expression

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Tue Sep 12 18:44:42 UTC 2017

Please note that this is a Geeky post - so carry on if that’s not you.

Email validation is an area where many websites fall short as we found in our study on Website UA Readiness (nearing publication)

The technologies behind these websites generally use a Regular Expression as their first line of defence against rubbish data.   The issue is that most of these RegExs are overly restrictive.

As an appendix to the Website review, we looked at some of the technologies behind the websites to see if there were common denominators for good and bad experiences.

One RegEx has stood out as being simple and correct.   I’d like the UASG to consider recommending this in our documentation.   Toward that end, this thread is for discussion.

Regular expression check in Javascript. This accepts any Unicode characters, only insisting that the domain must have more than one label and the TLD is 2 characters or longer.

Your thoughts?

Don Hollander
Universal Acceptance Steering Group
Skype: don_hollander