[UA-discuss] Why should a company adopt IDN

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 9 17:25:20 UTC 2018

I cannot answer this questions, I leave it for the more knowledgeable folks among us, but want to contribute a comment.
I have been to India a few times, in different parts of the country. Although I recognise the effort in education, that includes the English language - and therefore the latin script - when I look at advertisement in the streets a large part of it - and in some parts of India “most of it” - is in the local script. My conclusion is that there must be a good reason for it. So why should the internet be the exception? Just because we assume (wrongly) that only the more educated people will access the net (and that might mean in India the people who read English and Latin script)?
So it might also depend on what this large company is providing, what is their target audience. It might be different for high value stuff like cars or household goods, so I do not believe that one size would fit all, but the general consideration of reaching out to a wider audience could score a point.
Cheers,
Roberto