[UA-discuss] script mxing Re: Issue needs discussion and closure

Chaals Nevile chaals at yandex.ru
Mon Mar 12 23:04:19 UTC 2018

On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 03:49:39 +0100, Ajay Data <ajay at data.in> wrote:

> In UASG workshop today, we had a detailed recap and discussion on UA +
> EAI issues.

I am sorry I could not be there. I am in Hangzhou, and the ccommute  would
be tricky.

> 1.	Sender ID as xn--anything in local part.
>
> If email server receives an email FROM  xn--anything at validdomain  ,
> should email server at receiving end Do..
>
> a.	the conversion of xn--anything to UTF8 string.
> b.	Leave it the way it was received i.e xn-anything

What Mark said. There is only one justifiable case for conversion, and it
is very much an edge case.

However, anyone who is giving out multiscript addresses should probably
consider mapping the punycode conversion of an address to the same
account, just like some providers will map chaals.nevile@ and
chaals_nevile@

> 2.	Is Mixing of scripts is allowed in mailbox local part While creating
> a mailbox like..
>
> a.	scripta at scriptbdomain -     ajay <mailto:ajay@???????.????>
> @ਡਾਟਾਮੇਲ.ਭਾਰਤ

This seems reasonable to me. I have had chaals@яндекс.рф as a working
address for some years, and I would be upset if you tried to take it away
:)

> b.	scripta+scriptc at scriptbdomain ajayअजय@ਡਾਟਾਮੇਲ.ਭਾਰਤ
> <mailto:?????@???????.????>

This seems reasonable in general. It might be worth suggesting that mail
providers look into mapping confusable script combinations - chaals and
сhаа1s - and blocking the registration, or insist on a clear
non-alphabetic divider character à la epoc(ерос) - even in the common
legitimate case I see things like chaals(茶人生).

As noted, there are few problems in most script combinations, but there
are some combinations that have both potential confusability issues and
legitimate uses like chaals-чаалз@

cheers

Chaals

--