[UA-discuss] Document Review: UASG011 Frequently Asked Questions

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 26 08:57:54 UTC 2019

That statistic appears to be a simple estimate of the number of speakers
for a given language times the % of internet penetration in a given
population (summed over all distinct populations speaking the same
language).

For languages spoken mostly in reasonably developed countries this
approaches the population figures.

But it is a reasonable estimate for the purpose: except for the effect
of trade languages and second languages, 100% penetration is something
of a cap, so that the long-term (or not so long-term) development will
see the internet use of languages match other use of languages.

As of the most recent statistics (see wikipedia for sources), the
declared or detected content language of about half of all pages was
still English. Or, in other words, only half. One would expect that to
gravitate to the same distribution as observed for other media, such as
print publications: not all languages will have perfectly similar rates
of content production, but the current large fraction of English content
is bound to shrink.

In this context, it is notable that the UTF-8 inflection point is long
behind us: it was a few years ago that 50% of all pages counted were
detected as UTF-8. By now that encoding dominates. For UASG that means
that the fraction of pages that could not accommodate a URL with an IDN
(or could not accommodate an arbitrary IDN) has shrunk to insignificant
proportions already and that the bottlenecks are elsewhere.

A./