[UA-discuss] Proposal: Handling Numbering of the UASG Documents

Andre Schappo A.Schappo at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jan 28 10:17:18 UTC 2019

> On 25 Jan 2019, at 17:23, John Levine <john.levine at standcore.com> wrote:
>
> In article <796AD1B9-EF75-4FF9-BDDF-2C8F249BF10E at lboro.ac.uk> you write:
>> So you would want the main link to be:
>>
>> https://uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-Inventory-of-Material EN.pdf<https://uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-Inventory-of-Material%20EN.pdf>
>
> FYI, there is no need for the URL to end with .pdf or .html to
> indicate the content type.  Web servers have other ways to do that.
>
>> PS: I find file names with spaces are still a pain for some tools, so I suggest adding some hyphens.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Why not have the filenames in the language of the document thus giving a link such as:
>> uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-инвентарь-материала<http://uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%8C-%D0%BC%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%B0%D0%BB%D0%B0> or
>> uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-инвентарь-материала-2019-01-25<http://uasg.tech/documents/UASG000-инвентарь-материала-2019-01-25>
>
> In principle a reasonable idea, in practice UTF-8 in URLs can be
> flaky.  Some browsers hex encode it, some don't.

I think it in the nature of UASG to be involved in the flaky areas and to tackle those flaky areas head on. I suppose strictly speaking UASG is only involved in IDNs and EAI but it is rather difficult to ignore Unicode URLs (ie with a Part/Full Unicode pathname and Unicode/ASCII domain name). So I think we should not avoid the issue and so I vote for using such Unicode URLs on the UASG website. Yes there are and will be problems but letʼs use them, highlight them and tackle them head on.

André Schappo