[UA-discuss] confusing "UA Day" branding, so, "UA Days"? [was: Re: UA Day]

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed Dec 6 22:31:51 UTC 2023

This thread points out something which I think is worth focussing on:

The term "UA Day", and the highlighted date of 28 March, is a confusing
brand for a series of activities which will spread over 10-100 days of
each year.

The UA Day team might consider a second name which refers to the series
of the events. For example, we could call the series of events "the UA
Days" (plural), defined as the complete series of events in a year. The
UA Days may last for 7 days, or 30, or 75, or any number. Then use the
term "UA Day" for the specific capstone event of the UA Days series.
Maybe the capstone event always takes place on 28 March (local time). Or
maybe we do away with 28 March as a special date, and let the capstone
event be on any convenient date within the whole UA Days series.

In Canada, there is an annual event series called "Culture Days"
<https://culturedays.ca/>. It is a series of 3,000+ events and programs
which are independently organised by groups all over Canada, but held
during a common 24-day period, and grouped under a common "Culture Days"
brand with a central information website. Perhaps the "UA Days" series
could be framed the same way.

There is clearly interest by Universal Acceptance promoters in the "UA
Day" idea. I support the enthusiasm and the range of grass-roots events.
Let's not let the weaknesses of the original name get in the way of
that. Corrections are OK.

Best regards,
    —Jim DeLaHunt

On 2023-12-06 09:54, Mutegeki Cliff via UA-discuss wrote:
> Thanks for the Clarification Mark. With all that you have mentioned
> above I now see why it's ideal. Considering Anil's proposal, I am
> proposing we have a *Universal Acceptance Awareness Month. *The
> universal Acceptance day being the start of a month full of Universal
> Acceptance activities.
>
> Mutegeki Cliff Agaba
> Digital Adoption Consultant
> Member Internet Society, AFRALO, ICANN, UASG and IGF - WGWSP
>
> +256 701 800 679
> +256 776 800 679
>
> www.mutegekicliff.com <http://www.mutegekicliff.com>
> facebook icon <http://www.facebook.com/mutegekicliffagaba> linkedin
> icon <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mutegekicliff/> instagram icon
> <http://www.instagram.com/mutegekicliff>
>

> On Wed, 6 Dec 2023 at 20:38, Mark W. Datysgeld
> <mark at governanceprimer.com> wrote:
>
>     The feasibility of doing all UA Day events in a single global day
>     was extensively tested last year and proved to be something nearly
>     impossible to coordinate.
>
>     A report was circulated outlining the many factors as to why that
>     is, based on surveying the organizers themselves. It involves
>     elements such as national holidays, cultural traditions, local
>     university and business integration timings, and several other
>     factors that can be found in the report.
>
>     Having a 2 month span to carry these events out is ideal, even
>     more so because delays and reschedulings are commonplace and we
>     ended up with a wide calendar in spite of all efforts.
>
>     Regards,
>     ---
>     Mark W. Datysgeld
>     Director at Governance Primer
>     ICANN GNSO Councilor

     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada