[UA-discuss] questions about UASG Elections 2023 [was: Re: UASG Elections 2023 - Accepting Nominations]

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Sat Mar 4 01:51:03 UTC 2023

Mehta:

Welcome to the UASG! It is good to have more people who are interested
in helping make globally inclusive domain names and email addresses
accepted universally. And, I personally am glad to see another Canadian
posting here.

 > Is it possible to view the candidate profiles on any site?

Not yet. There are not yet any candidates. This email thread is a call
for nominations. Once the nominations are all received, I expect you
will see candidate profiles posted.

 > What is the purpose of the election?

To elect the top leaders of this group, the Universal Acceptance
Steering Group. For more information about the duties of these leaders,
and the election process, look at the Operational Documents section of
the UASG website <https://uasg.tech/operational-documents/>. Download
and read the first three documents there, which have "UASG Election" and
"2023" in their links.

If you have questions about the candidates or issues, you are welcome to
post questions (as separate threads, with distinct Subject: lines) to
ua-discuss at icann.org .

Best regards,
      —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

On 2023-03-02 15:26, Mehta Youngs via UA-discuss wrote:
> Is it possible to view the candidate profiles on any site? What is the
> purpose of the election? Apologies, I am new. Here to follow the
> development of full unicode domain naming, and I didn't know any
> election or what powers are being bestowed, or even if there are any
> controversial issues within this working group. If anyone wants to
> proselytize to me, feel free.
>
> Mehta
>
> +1 306 244 2650
>
> Saskatoon, Canada
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 7:31 AM Seda Akbulut via UA-discuss
> <ua-discuss at icann.org> wrote:
>
>     Dear Universal Acceptance (UA) Community Members,
>
>     Universal Acceptance Working Group (UASG) is announcing the call
>     for nominations for its leadership positions. Interested
>     candidates should send a self-nomination with a Statement of
>     Interest (SOI) to the email: UAprogram at icann.org
>     <mailto:UAprogram at icann.org> before 23:00 UTC on 3 March 2023 for
>     Chair position, and on 31 March 2023 for Vice-Chair position.
>
>     The SOI should include the following information:
>
>      1. Name of the nominee
>      2. The position contesting for (UASG Chair or UASG Vice-Chair)
>      3. A short bio of the nominee, covering current position and the
>         company being worked for, relevant UA experience, motivation,
>         expression of interest and any other relevant information.
>
>     The final list of candidates and their Statements of Interests
>     (SOI) will be published on 6 March 2023for Chair position, and on
>     4 April 2023 for Vice-Chair position.
>
>     *Open**Positions for Election*
>
>     - One Chair of the UASG
>
>     - Vice-Chairs of the UASG (up to threepositions)
>
>     *
>     The**UASG Structure *
>
>     The UniversalAcceptance Steering Group (UASG) is overseen by one
>     chair and two to three vice-Chairs, called the UASG leadership
>     team. The UASG leadership team will be appointed for a two-year
>     term with the possibility of one reappointment, i.e., the chair
>     and vice-chairs can serve for a period of two years and no more
>     than four in each position.
>
>     For more information about the timeline and self-nominations,
>     please find attached documents. To see the current UASG
>     Administrative Group, visit https://uasg.tech/about/people/.
>
>     Best Regards,
>
>     Seda Akbulut
>     Universal Acceptance (UA) Program Manager
>     The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

>     delivery or disabling delivery altogether (e.g., for a vacation),
>     and so on.

.   --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       2201-1000 Beach Ave, Vancouver BC V6E 4M2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953