[UA-discuss] ACTION REQUIRED by May 15, 2024 For Continuation of Your UASG Membership

Marc Tl marct717 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 11:17:00 UTC 2024

Dear Seda and Esteemed UASG Members,

I hope this message finds you well. I want to express my appreciation for
ICANN's dedication to enhancing transparency and accountability within the
Multistakeholder ecosystem. However, I have some concerns regarding the
process outlined for submitting our Statements of Interest (SOIs) to retain
access to UASG mailing lists.

While I understand the importance of verifying our continued interest in
receiving information from the UASG, I must highlight that the current
practice diverges significantly from established ICANN standards. For
instance, the SOIs for groups like the GNSO were developed collaboratively
by a small team and approved by the community before implementation. In
contrast, UASG is requesting members to submit their SOIs through a
third-party service provider, Smart Sheet, which raises questions about
data privacy and security. In all ICANN groups SOI data always remain
within ICANN systems and not on any third party vendor.

The selection of a third-party vendor for collecting sensitive information
is concerning, especially considering the General Data Protection
Regulation (EU GDPR) compliance implications. I seek assurance and
information from UASG regarding how the measures are in place to safeguard
our data and prevent its misuse for commercial purposes by either UASG or
its contracted parties.

Furthermore, I question why UASG opted for a separate submission process
instead of linking our existing SOIs from the ICANN community platform,
which is the standard practice across various ICANN groups. The
discrepancies in the questions included in the UASG SOI form compared to
other ICANN groups raise additional concerns about consistency and
alignment with community-approved standards.

I urge UASG leadership to provide clarity on the decision-making process
behind the chosen submission method and address the privacy and security
concerns raised by members. Transparency and accountability are essential
values that must guide our actions within the ICANN community, and I
believe it is crucial to ensure that all practices adhere to these
principles.

Thank you for your attention to these matters, and I look forward to your
prompt response of these concerns.

Sincerely,

Marc Miller

Sr. Director