[UA-discuss] UASG SOI unclear, what does "Material interest" mean?

Jim DeLaHunt list+uasg at jdlh.com
Wed May 15 16:49:54 UTC 2024

UASG leadership:

I am filling out the UASG Statement of Interest (SOI) form
(https://uasg.tech/join), and I do not know what this phrase means:

> Material Interest in ICANN UASG Governance*
>
> Do you have any type of material interest in ICANN UASG governance and
> policy recommendations and outcomes?
>
> [Yes] [No]

What does "material interest" mean?  What kind of "governance and policy
recommendations and outcomes" does this question refer to?

I mean, I volunteer time to work on UASG activities. I have a limited
amount of time left in my life, so each hour is valuable. It is
important to me to spend those hours well. So, I think I have a
"material interest" on UASG "governance" creating ways to use those
hours to actually advance universal acceptance advance, rather than slog
through bureaucratic exercises. So I have a great interest in UASG
governance being effective, and in UASG policy leading to outcomes like
more universal acceptance, not just more reports.

So, "Yes", I do have a "type of material interest" in "UASG governance
and policy recommendations and outcomes"?

But I have a feeling that is not what the question asks.

Could someone who commissioned this SOI form please explain what this
question means? What problem is it trying to solve?

Best regards,
       —Jim DeLaHunt

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt,jdlh at jdlh.com      http://blog.jdlh.com/  (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver, Canada