[UA-EAI] UA + EAI + Academia

Sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 18:02:40 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am a newcomer to this forum. Got to know about this from Mr. Sarmad
Hussain whom we got in touch regarding our new IDN/EAI services idnmail.net
.

I am from Pune Linux Users group (plug.org.in) and many of the pluggies
have been working on various projects like FUEL (fuelproject.org),  I have
been a visiting faculty in Pune, Symbiosis University collages (sicsr.ac.in)
and some other friends from PLUG are also teaching there. We used to do our
annual FOSS conference GNUnify (GNUnify.in) for many years and used to have
sessions on FUEL, font designing and other language related activities.

Few years back, we had discussed how to get Unicode, L10N, I18N etc. into
the core syllabus of the courses in Symbiosis. Lot of brainstorming was
done primarily headed by Karunakar and Rajesh Ranjan. (Karunakar is the
core person in the IND-Linux activities from the beginning. Rajesh started
the FUEL project. I suppose Karunakar is also on the Unicode list and I
will ask him to respond on that list )
Last few days, I was trying to find some material on this and finally I
could find it on the IND-linux mailing list archives. Please go through it
as it might help in this discussion.
Here is the link of the mail thread.:
https://sourceforge.net/p/indlinux/mailman/indlinux-group/?viewmonth=201603
Also check the document links there.

Most of the people mentioned in it are from Pune itself and any further
help/discussion with them is always possible.
Unfortunately, for some reasons, we couldn't get this into the formal
syllabus.  But when we do teach, Unicode and standards
implementations/awareness is surely taken up right in the beginning.

Regards
-Sudhanwa

On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM André Schappo via UA-EAI <ua-eai at icann.org>
wrote:

> UA EAIWG Meeting 24 August 2021
>
> I am very pleased to see that Academia is being discussed. I am even more
> pleased that I will no longer be a (mostly) solitary Computer Science voice
> in Academia WRT i18n, L10n, IDNs, EAI, Unicode, internationalisation of the
> Computer Science curriculum ...etc... I have been championing Computer
> Science internationalisation for many many years but my many endeavours and
> initiatives have had little effect.
>
> I have much to share and many thoughts and suggestions for this group but
> for today I will restrict myself to a brief examination of 2 topics. There
> will be a small number of exceptions to what I write below.
>
> ① ASCII ➜ Unicode
>
> University Computer Science is dominated by ASCII. Regex is taught using
> ASCII text only Database storage, searching, matching is with ASCII text
> only. Programming uses ASCII text only. JSON is ASCII text only. Networking
> teaching does not cover IDNs...and so on.
>
> Unicode is not taught in Computer Science. This has so many detrimental
> consequences. This, of course negatively impacts on IDNs and EAI and so
> many other aspects of internationalisation of Computing and the Internet.
>
> One of my litmus tests is to set this programming challenge to students ➜
> https://jsfiddle.net/coas/wda45gLp In order to solve this one does need a
> little knowledge of Unicode, but only a little. I have set this to students
> for several years now. These student include international students from
> Universities round the world who have completed a 3 year undergrad degree
> course in Computer Science in their home country. I have never had a
> correct solution from any student until I explain about Unicode, Unicode
> regex, NFC, NFD ...etc... University Computer Science produces ASCII
> programmers but needs to be producing Unicode programmers.
>
> suggestion: convince academia of the importance of Unicode and that
> teaching of Unicode is essential and should be a core subject.
>
> ② Internationalisation of the Computer Science Curriculum
>
> Internationalisation of HE is huge and has been so for several years now.
> It is happening in every University across most disciplines but not
> Computer Science.
>
> There are various aspects to Internationalisation of HE. The 2 aspects I
> think most relevant are IaH (Internationalisation at Home) and IoC
> (Internationalisation of the Curriculum). I am a member of the "Centre for
> Curriculum Internationalisation" forum/email list ➜
> https://groups.google.com/g/cicin I am the only Computer Science voice on
> this forum and here are my posts on this forum ➜ https://고.한국/CCI
> <https://xn--299a.xn--3e0b707e/CCI>
>
> suggestion: get involved directly with academic groups, forums, email
> lists ...etc... and champion EAI, IDNs, Computer Science
> Internationalisation. UASG and Industry has a valid and crucial voice when
> it comes to which topics should/could be taught at Universities.

> [...]

web: www.sudhanwa.com  blog: www.sudhanwa.in
Twitter: sudhanwa Check on FB, Linkedin for more.