[UA-Measurement] 'Hard' Measures

Don Hollander don.hollander at icann.org
Sat Aug 8 06:22:04 UTC 2015

Further to our last call in late July, this e-mail will start a thread of
discussion for ideas of Œhard¹ measures of UA Readiness.

Please use this thread to suggest metrics that we can use to measure how
much progress is being made on UA.

Here¹s an example to start:

Use a variety of TLDs:
* Longer than 7 character ASCII
* IDN gTLDs ­ variety of scripts
* IDN ccTLDs ­ variety of scripts
* TLD deployed to the root in the past three months

E-Mail
Can e-mail accounts be established in the top 10 e-mail software and service
providers
Can e-mail be sent from these TLDs using the top 10 e-mail software and
service providers
Can e-mail be received from these TLDs using the top 10 e-mail software and
service providers

Web Sites
Can these e-mail addresses be used to establish accounts in the top 25
websites in a given community ­ including the global community.

Browsers
Can websites associated with each of these TLDs be accessed from the top 10
browsers deployed across a variety of operating systems?   Does the browser
treat the name  as an address or a search term?  Does the display the web
site correctly?