[UA-Measurement] Amazon Mechanical Turk

Tan Tanaka, Dennis dtantanaka at verisign.com
Wed Aug 5 14:13:38 UTC 2020

Thank you for your insights Mark. Very useful.

Dennis

From: Mark Datysgeld <mark at governanceprimer.com>
Date: Monday, August 3, 2020 at 3:43 AM
To: Dennis Tan Tanaka <dtantanaka at verisign.com>, "ua-measurement at icann.org" <ua-measurement at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [UA-Measurement] Amazon Mechanical Turk

Hey there, Dennis.

We explored this system during the final stages of the 2019 website analysis project, and our thoughts were that, while there might be value in using such a system, the project needs to be scoped incredibly well for good results to be produced. The workers behind the Turk are paid to perform objective tasks that require no problem-solving, so any error, any condition outside of clearly specified parameters, would result in them returning a blank.

In other words, there needs to be intensive pre-research anyway that outlines procedures and performs all tasks that need problem-solving. In the website analysis example, the actual list of websites, once filtered using some common sense (no malware etc.), was within the range of Alexa's Top 3.000 or so, not 1.000 per se. Another factor is that input boxes can be anywhere on the page, there is no one link that takes people to them, even though "Contact us" is a good guess.

So as you can see, this can be used in very specific, tailored projects, that would need to be thought of specifically to make use of the service.

Regards,