[UA-Measurement] Java 8 vs. Java 20

Mark Datysgeld mark at governanceprimer.com
Tue Jan 3 18:39:51 UTC 2023

Following up late on this, but: yes, this is consistent with our results
from the Github software analysis.

If we want a chance to ever improve our results in Java in general, we
need to influence Java 21-22 to at least gain some ground moving
forward, as so much software built on that platform relies on the base
class and it doesn't look like there is a movement towards adopting
proper libraries.

Best,

On 15 Dec 2022 15:15, Arnt Gulbrandsen via UA-Measurement wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Written down by popular request: The core of the android 2003/8
> problem is that various libraries on Android use the system class
> java.net.IDN, which is currently an implementation of IDNA2003. It is
> that because Android uses Java 8, which was released around a decade
> ago. So we have a situation where:
>
> Oracle maintains Java, including the class java.net.IDN, and may be
> willing to update it. However, Oracle’s rules say that this class will
> only be changed in Java 21 or perhaps 22. Versions much older than the
> latest are only updated in response to security problems, and ours
> isn’t that.
>
> Google wants Android to be compatible with Java 8. (This “wants” is
> perhaps the weakest of the wants mentioned in this email.)
>
> OkHttp wants to be compatible with the Android base classes, both for
> function and to keep the maintenance burden minimal. (Every time they
> do something incompatible, that adds code which they have to keep
> bugfree. This is work.)
>
> (FYI I have discussed this with Sarmad, who suggests that I try to
> contribute a change to Java 22 and we’ll see about the rest later.)
>
> --
>
> Arnt Gulbrandsen
>
> UA Technology Sr. Manager, ICANN
>
> +32 492 374706

Mark W. Datysgeld [markwd.website <https://markwd.website>]
Director at Governance Primer [governanceprimer.com
<https://governanceprimer.com>]
ICANN GNSO Councilor