[vip] [arabic-vip] Language table updation

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Mon Aug 1 22:09:55 UTC 2011

Dear Sarmad,

On Jul 26, 2011, at 2:02 PM, Sarmad Hussain wrote:

An issue which came up during the discussion in our group meeting was whether it is possible for a registry to submit a language table and then to revise it (e.g. (but not limited to) the variant table within it).  Is there anything in the protocol on this?  Are there any IANA policies around it?  If yes, are there any procedures stipulated?

With respect to the IDN repository on IANA's website (i.e. http://www.iana.org/domains/idn-tables), yes, TLD registries are free to update and revise the IDN table they have listed as they see fit. A number of TLD registries have updated the tables they have listed on the website.

We have little in the way of formal policies for this resource right now. To ensure listings are authentic, we ask the contacts for a TLD to consent to a listing or an update. However, we don't have any strict limits on the formatting of what is provided. All we ask that it be provided as plain text, HTML or PDF. I quickly review submitted tables and if the format is too much of a divergence from the classical JET-style format, I'll ask if they are sure they wish to submit it in that particular form, given the goal is re-usability by other registries. However there is no formal requirement it be of a specific format.

kim