[vip] The "Invisible Separator Characters" Issue

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Aug 23 00:06:22 UTC 2011

At 20:06 22/08/2011, Patrik Fältström wrote:

>On 22 aug 2011, at 17.33, JFC Morfin wrote:
>
> > This being said. In my personal project, if we take the
> "xyz.icann.org" domain name, if I can differentiate "xyz", I can
> consider "icann.org" as the registered domain name of ICANN and
> "xyz" as a netix "prefix" which has been introduced prior to that
> domain name - however it looks as being a part of it so it goes
> through to the ML-DNS.
>
>My only point, which I reiterate, is that xyz.icann.org is a domain
>name, as is icann.org and org. Three different domain names.
>Please do not use the term "domain name" for anything else.

Dear Patrik,
however happy I would be to deffer to your wishes, I am lost at
understanding what they are?

1. xyz.icann.org is a domain name, as is icann.org and org. Three
different domain names.
2. in these domain names "org" is their TLD or suffix or first level label.
3. xyz, icann, and org are respectively their upper level label. I
claim the capacity to call them their prefixes.

If you have a problem with that I can also call them their ULL, and
their TLD their FLL. However, this sounds less multilinguistic and
unecessarily sophisticated?

Best.
jfc