[vip] Integrated Issues Report draft

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu Dec 22 13:26:08 UTC 2011

This reminds me that I have the draft on ny reading list. I haven't
done a proper read yet but couldn't help noticing the remarks about
Cyrillic in the appendix. Some nits about this:

- There have been more spellings reforms as far as I know. Peter
  the Great (or "the First" as the Russians say) initiated a major
  one (with advice by Dutch typographers) which wiped out more
  characters then the SU did. Around 1880 was another major one as
  well. I'm not sure whether it is a good idea to single out a
  specific reform

- I have always learned that modern russian has 33 characters (and
  not the 32 mentioned). The are two examples of use of diacritics
  in the same paragraph. These are considered separate characters
  in Russian alphabets. If one consider these as characters with
  diacrits (as one could easely do), the Russian alphabet would
  have 31 characters.

Of course, I'm not an expert in Cyrillic and slavic languages, but
it might be that other readers night be just as puzzled as me.

I hope to find time to read the whole draft this week.

	jaap