[vip] Educational session on existing variant practices

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Jul 26 08:32:02 UTC 2011

On 26.07.11 11:14, JFC Morfin wrote:
>> In English the "æ" is a ligature, and in some more languages. It is a
>> separate letter and *not* a ligature in the Scandinavian languages
>> that uses it.
>>
>> So whether something is a ligature, and because of that what is "the
>> same" is context dependent.
>>
>>    Patrik
>

> In such a case, the solution seems to be to use a table where the
> visual geometric symbol æ can be freely used by people along their own
> orthotypography of their own language without caring about the ways
> other languages, cultures, typographies, orthotypographies. Either it
> is possible to bridge such a graphcode with unicode and we have to do
> it, or it is not and here is the problem we (VIP, PRECIS, IUCG, ...)
> have to address.

First, let's agree that we discuss variants not because of computers
(DNS, as such), but because of humans.
It is humans that can declare something to be a variant or not. For
computers and DNS in particular it is all different and computers and
DNS, do not have any problem to resolve here.

When we consider the way humans read, we need to consider the fact that
humans do not match characters in a (Unicode? ;) table, but rather
interpret what they see and switch context. If the majority of the text
is Cyrillic, as indicated by the presence of unique
Cyrillic-(only/mostly) characters, then the human considers that text
'Cyrillic' and the letter 'a' is therefore Cyrillic Small Letter A, and
not Latin Small Letter A -- however identical those might look. Same for
Greek and even much easier for the Arabic/Chinese scripts.

One common argument that pops up in such discussions is that 'most of
the world uses ASCII already' -- but let me remind the saying "It all
looks Greek to me" (or "Graecum est; non legitur"). In the not so
distant future, DNS will not be ASCII-mostly anymore. We need to base
our work on that assumption, or it will be obsolete in just few years.

Daniel