[vip] Types of variants: do we have consensus?

Giovanni Seppia giovanni.seppia at eurid.eu
Tue Jul 26 15:40:33 UTC 2011

Dear All,

In following up some of the comments circulated so far regarding the association of meaningfulness to a string, I would like to highlight that one of the criteria applied by ICANN when submitting a string application within the ccTLD IDN Fast Track process is "meaningfulness of the string". ICANN does not approve any string request if this element is not adequately addressed by the applicant.

Best,

Giovanni

On 26 Jul 2011, at 09:59, Daniel Kalchev wrote:

> On 26.07.11 02:30, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> "Meaning or restatement of string in English. The applicant will provide a
>> short description of what the string would mean or represent in English."
>> Thank you for bringing this requirement to my attention; I somehow
>> missed it in previous readings of the guidebook.  I'm sure you can
>> work out what my (personal) opinion of this requirement is.
>
> I always wished our work to be useful at all levels of DNS, but TLDs are definitely supposed to have meaning. So therefore, if we are to focus on variants in the context of TLDs (primarily), then we must consider the meaning "variants".
>
> Even if we do not consider the "meaning" as a string variant, it will surely be considered as such at some other policy level.
>
> If we talk about meaning of the string at any level in DNS, then I could justify your opinion -- however the policies at different levels are quiet different. On many levels "anything goes".
>
>>> I think it is safe to claim that TLDs do have meaning _associated to them_
>> Semioticians will tell us that _everything_ has meaning associated to
>> it.  Of course DNS labels have more or less meaning for a given
>> person, and over time a user community might come to converge on a
>> conventional meaning.  On the other hand, I've often heard it said
>> that .org domains are for non-profits.
>
> This I believe was coined during the Bucharest ICANN meeting, where the .ORG TLD was subject to bids. RFC1591 says about .ORG:
>
> ORG - This domain is intended as the miscellaneous TLD for
> organizations that didn't fit anywhere else. Some non-
> government organizations may fit here.
>
> On the other hand, would ICANN agree for a gTLD .ОРГ (same phonetics, same abbreviated meaning in Bulgarian, at least) to exist separately from .ORG? If not, why?
> It is different, because:
> - has different script (Cyrillic)
> - does not have visual similarity (oh yes, 'Г' is equivalent with 'R' :)
> - does have different Abstract Characters and produces different punnycode.
>
> There are many cases like this, that support the non-character base to define variants in DNS.
> Of course, none of these are technical.
> But then, character variants are not technical as well. :)
>
> Daniel

Giovanni Seppia
External Relations manager

EURid