[vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about

Dmitry Kohmanyuk dk at nic.net.ua
Tue Jun 21 07:05:30 UTC 2011

Hello everyone,

this is my first post to the list -- thank you for all discussion so far.

I am from UA ccTLD (we do have some experience with pseudo-variants, from 1997), but this is personal
comment regards to technical implementations on variants in DNS and registries --

On Jun 20, 2011, at 9:44 AM, Patrik Fältström wrote:

[...]
> Ok, given we have some agreement on what is a variant and not, we have to discuss what implications it has. I here also see a number of different questions to be answered. For example:
>
> B.1. Should an application with more TLDs than one be counted as one application if the TLDs in the application are variants of each other? And if so, should there be only one fee per application?
> B.2. Should two different variants be able to be managed by two different registries or not, and if not, what should happen with the variants? One primary and others like the bundling tactics in some TLDs (i.e. choice between "yes delegation" or "just block for other to register")?
>
> And then there might be a technical question in there...
> C.1. Given two domain names are variants of each other, is there something that can be done in the DNS from a technical point of view to express that, or can we only do delegations?

[...]

> Then ICANN ask IETF formally "can you please let us know if it is possible to have some kind of solution for _technically_ link two TLDs with each other, in a safe and stable way". Via a letter to IAB.

Actually this question has to be asked right away, for if there is no easy way to handle, say,
two variant names handled by two different registries (and to the best of my knowledge it is the case),
then many of options we can be considering to be good are impossible to implement in current DNS.

Otherwise it would be just a waste of time to invent solutions which can not be handled.