[vip] Note LC deadline for draft-ietf-appsawg-rfc3536bis (was: [arabic-vip] Suggested meta-questions to think about)

Dillon, Chris c.dillon at ucl.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 07:28:22 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

I have been comparing the definitions in section 7 with Patrik's list.

The original definition in section 7 (referring to Traditional Characters and Simplified Characters in Chinese) is similar to Patrik's A.1.

"Visually similar" or "visually confusable" would be an addition to Patrik's list, perhaps A.5.

"Characters assigned more than one Unicode code point because of some special property" is for me near A.1, perhaps a sub-point of it.

Numerals are not on Patrik's list. Let us assign that A.6.

"Orthographic differences" within a language corresponds to Patrik's A.2.

Patrik also mentions words that _sound_ the same (perhaps "there" and "their"). Perhaps we could assign that A.7, although we may not want to keep that definition in the long run.

I am intending to set up examples in several languages of each possible definition (several of which we won't want to call variant at all in future) in the wiki, in the hope that that would make things clearer. There probably won't be time for that before the deadline.

Looking at things the other way round, it may be good to add Patrik's definitions A.3. and A.4 to section 7.

Are you aware of any other possible definition of the word "variant"?

Regards,

Chris.
==
Faculty Information Support Officer