[vip] [Blog Post] Making Progress on Internationalized Domain Names

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sun Nov 2 17:10:19 UTC 2014

On Nov 1, 2014, at 8:45 PM, Patrik Fältström <paf at frobbit.se> wrote:

> Wait a second!
>
> That was one of the most confusing blog posts with the most number of errors I have seen in a while.

I'm in full agreement with Patrik and Andrew here. The article completely confuses "when ICANN allowed IDNs in the root" with "when existing TLDs allowed IDNs in their zones".

> And it does definitely not help ICANN.

Right. The article makes it sound like ICANN got to decide when IDNs were used below the root zone, which is both arrogant and factually wrong. Many ccTDLs and gTLDs allowed IDNs as SLDs way before ICANN allowed them as TLDs.

> Can this please be resolved ASAP before meetings start in Busan at PP14 on Monday morning? I.e. can ICANN please correct this? For example by withdrawing the post for now, and then posting something that is at least a bit correct?

Yes, please.

--Paul Hoffman