[Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction mandate

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Thu Dec 1 18:57:28 UTC 2016

Thank you Avri, it is good to check the source documents periodically to recall context and direction.

I stated on the phone that I was not supportive of the questionnaire concept – but as Milton pointed out on the call it was more specific than I thought when first proposed.

Based on what Milton said, my take on this has changed and I think questions asking for first-hand experiences of positive, negative, or neutral experiences based on jurisdictional concerns are fine – I would limit them to experiences dealing with dispute-resolution based issues.

Questionnaire apart, however, I do think that we have a mandate for a narrow approach. I say that because the source documents and the larger context in which we are operating, IMO, direct us there (although the source documents may not be as clear as one would like).

The bylaw basically says look to the Final Report.

On jurisdiction, Annex 12 of the Final Report says much by way of background, and its language regarding “layers of jurisdiction” is really just an acknowledgement. The operative paragraph, in my opinion, is paragraph 30 which begins, “At this point in the CCWG-Accountability’s work, ...”  I think reference to “this point” is recognition that what came before, i.e., solidly grounding the accountability measures on California law, is an important precedent to our work, as it must be.

Paragraph 30 also goes on to say, “Consideration of jurisdiction in Work Stream 2 will focus on the settlement of dispute jurisdiction …”   The gap
analysis and identifying potential alternatives are to take place in that context.

And there is a larger context in which we operate, with two particular aspects that appear quite important.

First, we just spent years and millions of dollars basing ICANN accountability on California law principles. Why would we throw that away? (It’s worth noting as well that California law has demonstrated over 18 years that it actually has allowed ICANN to operate without undo disruption.)

And the second aspect is timing/capacity – we are WS2, not the UN. We can address gaps, if they are found, in dispute-resolution issues stemming from jurisdiction. We cannot grant ICANN immunity or enact a treaty, nor do we have the depth, experience, and time to come up with plausibly based recommendations in such regard.

There are fair questions being raised that are appropriate for other forums – I personally think we, however, should focus on WS2 as constituted in Annex 12.

Best regards,

David

David McAuley
International Policy Manager