[Ws2-jurisdiction] Proposed Additional Question

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Mon Dec 5 15:48:53 UTC 2016

Good morning -
I'm very much in line with Greg's approach.

Following the debate now passively for a while, I wonder if it wouldn't help those that want to see more done in this area, if we wouldn't get a simple map that would explain the current legal situation. I think part of the intellectual challenge we are facing is that some are looking at (real or perceived) potential legal challenges from a political perspective, while others are looking at it from a business and/or legal perspective. An overview might help those that look at it from a political perspective.

What do I mean?
If we look at ICANN related 'international law' legal challenges, they might group around the following topics:

1) privacy (US privacy laws - EU privacy laws - other dominant national laws - international agreements that impact ICANN - relevant court cases - etc.) (identity real or potential problems, for example: A) international implications of national laws, extra-territorial effects. B) new Privacy Shield agreement between EU & US, how is it impacting our environment and is there something ICANN can and must do to help registrars/registries. C) new WHOIS. D) other challenges)
2) security
3) IPR
4) content liabilities
5) others

My sense is that instead of continuing a largely intellectual debate, such a mapping exercise would help all players. This is a typical work a law firm can do that is familiar with our environment. And since they've done this many times for clients with similar backgrounds (Internet related firms/headquartered in the US but with exposure to other national legal norms), they will 'only' have to add ICANN specifications.

Happy to help!
Erika

Sent from my iPhone