[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

farzaneh badii farzaneh.badii at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 22:37:33 UTC 2016

Hi

I think collecting issues is very important. As an example, I would like to
draw your attention to this paragraph in the New gTLD applicant guidebook:
*"Legal Compliance* -- ICANN must comply with all U.S. laws, rules, and
regulations. One such set of regulations is the economic and trade
sanctions program administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control
(OFAC) of the U.S. Department of the Treasury. These sanctions have been
imposed on certain countries, as well as individuals and entities that
appear on OFAC's List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons
(the SDN List). ICANN is prohibited from providing most goods or services
to residents of sanctioned countries or their governmental entities or to
SDNs without an applicable U.S. government authorization or exemption.
ICANN generally will not seek a license to provide goods or services to an
individual or entity on the SDN List. In the past, when ICANN has been
requested to provide services to individuals or entities that are not SDNs,
but are residents of sanctioned countries, ICANN has sought and been
granted licenses as required. In any given case, however,* OFAC could
decide not to issue a requested license."*
p.1-25 - gTLD Applicant Guidebook, Version 2012-06-04

The paragraph goes so far as to say that  ICANN is prohibited from
providing most goods or services even to the residents of santioned
countries. ICANN is gracious enough to request for OFAC license for those
not in the SDN list but it also says: OFAC could decide not to issue a
requested license! Who would apply for a new gtld from sanctioned countries
when facing such grave uncertainty.

That's only one example.

Best

Farzaneh