[Ws2-jurisdiction] Multiple Layers of Jurisdiction Document

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Nov 15 00:13:28 UTC 2016

I for one do not believe criminal or terrorist organizations should be registry operators.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050
Washington, DC 20004
202-559-8597/Direct
202-559-8750/Fax
202-255-6172/Cell

Twitter: @VLawDC

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 14, 2016, at 6:27 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com<mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>> wrote:

Farzaneh,

As you say, collecting issues is important. We then need to analyze them. In the case of a new gTLD, we would need to determine whether an OFAC license would be necessary for a new gTLD applicant from a sanctioned country. I'm not at all certain that is the case. If it is, I would not jump to the conclusion that this is a "grave uncertainty." I think the italicizes language may be an exercise of caution. ICANN could not possibly say that OFAC is required to issue a license, nor can it ever promise a result from any government or other third party. Hence the caveat. ICANN has sought and received OFAC licenses in the past, not because they are "gracious" but because that's the appropriate thing to do. I have absolutely no reason to believe that ICANN would hesitate to do so in the future. One might wonder if the change in relationship and political climate would lead OFAC to be more stingy with licenses, but in the case of ICANN, I think that would be counterproductive. I'm not minimizing the concern, just saying that we need to analyze each step.

Greg