[Ws2-jurisdiction] first draft of fact solicitation questions

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Nov 29 15:39:47 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 29 November 2016 06:28 PM, Vinay Kesari wrote:
> All,
>
> I think that we risk losing sight of a few key facts here, given the
> length and volume of this email chain:
>
> 1. _We already have a definite scope for this sub-group_ - "What is
> the influence of ICANN’s existing jurisdiction(s) relating to
> resolution of disputes (i.e., choice of law and venue) on the actual
> operation of ICANN’s policies and accountability mechanisms?".

Dear Vinay, thanks for this note. Can you please tell where did you pick
up the above text under quotation marks, as describing the definite
scope for the sub-group. My question is sincere and genuine. I really
want to know clearly what is in scope and what not. I looked up Annex 12
but did not find this sentence there.

> Engaging with this question requires us to unpack what 'jurisdiction'
> means in this context, which is why we are considering the 'multiple
> layers of jurisdiction'.

In your above definition of scope, "choice of law, venue' is clearly
mentioned, seemingly as an essential definitional part. This term
'choice of law/ venue' pertains only to one layer of jurisdiction, even
as such layers are described in Annex 12 as well in the current google
doc on layers of jurisdiction that we are working on. I call it the
private law part, which is about private contracts as developed by
contracting parties. Only in this regard 'choice of law/ venue' is
meaningful. It is not meaningful for application of public law, those
laws about which there is no choice available to any party - it is
decided by place of incorporation/ location.

> The scope of the subgroup, to the extent set out above, comes from the
> document which created this group, the CCWG WS1 report. The subgroup
> did not decide its own scope, and is not absolutely free to do so.

Is there any other doc in this regard than Annex 12? Again, a sincere
question. If the scope of this group indeed comes from the sentence you
quoted, I see it only to cover private law as applicable to contracts.
Then the scope of this group simply does not cover various public laws,
about which legal persons existing within territorial limits of a state
just have no choice of law, these laws necessarily apply.

Is this indeed is a fact, let it then be made clear. I asked exactly
this same question at the physical meeting in Hyderabad. I thought that
the answer by Greg and CCWG chair indicated that public law jurisdiction
is within scope. But this is now again thrown in doubt.

All,

Speaking of facts, lets us first get this fact clear -- is public law
jurisdiction  - compulsory ( no choice) jurisdiction of the place of
incorporation/ physical location, where no choice of law/ venue is
available - of ICANN within scope of this group or not?

I think we should not proceed further without getting this fact right,
about our own selves, making it very very clear -- and have a common
understanding of it.

If we do so, a lot of shadow boxing here will stop, which happens
because of different conceptions of what exactly we are doing here. So,
arguments go simply past one another. And I think this needs to stop for
this group to make any progress at all.

To exemplify from today's call. I was surprised to hear a few people say
that we need to reach out only to the DNS industry, or thereabout. But
now I can understand that if the remit of the group is only such law
where choice of law/ venue is available, meaning contracts etc, of
course this mostly only covers the interests of parties directly
entering such contracts, which is the DNS industry.

Some people like me, on the other hand, are here only with a wider
public interest point of view. I have nothing against the concerns of
the DNS industry but that kind of thing simply isnt what I, my
organisation, and networks that I work with, have any interest in. I
come with an interest in wider public interest issues, which really is
about public laws that get applied to ICANN activities, where choice of
law/ venue is not available

So, both sides are right, from where they stand, and how they see
things. It is for the group, led by the chairs, to make it fully clear
what is in scope and what not.

If public law, or such law with no choice of law/ venue, is indeed not
in scope, let this be made clear upfront. That will solve a lot of things.

However, if public law, or such law where choice of law/ venue is
definitionally not available, is within scope, then let it "fully and
completely" be in scope. And then let us not drag our feet doing what we
need to do, which requires a different approach from an individual/
private interests based approach. I think this lack of clear resolution
of what is in scope and what out is also behind the contestations about
the questionnaire. If we resolve the root cause, we will be able to make
progress.

Again, what i am asking is, let us make fully clear whether public law
issues (where no choice of law is available) are in scope, or only
private law area (where choice of law/ venue is available to the
involved parties) is in scope. No point making unending arguments based
on different understanding of the scope of the group.

 parminder