[Ws2-jurisdiction] Jurisdiction mandate

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 07:19:40 UTC 2016

To be clear, I don't think anyone has suggested that the subgroup would be
limited to "understanding the past" or to looking only at prior
experiences.  A paucity of information about actual past experiences
involving "ICANN's jurisdiction" led to the questionnaire proposal.  The
fact that we were looking for facts was not a limitation, it was merely
intended to give us more knowledge.

I think we've spent a considerable amount of time already considering
potential effects, and we need to spend more.  This is readily apparent (on
both counts) in looking at the Google Doc "What is the influence of ICANN’s
existing jurisdiction(s) relating to resolution of disputes (i.e., choice
of law and venue) on the actual operation of ICANN’s policies and
accountability mechanisms?"

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_uxN8A5J3iaofnGlr5gYoFVKudgg_DuwDgIuyICPzbk/edit?usp=sharing

I encourage, indeed I implore, members of the group to continue considering
potential effects and to put proposals into this Google Doc, and to comment
on suggestions that are already in the document.  This document is the
current project of the group, and we need to move it along.

Greg