[Ws2-jurisdiction] Fwd: [CCWG-ACCT] Fwd: FW: Adopted motion

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Sun Oct 9 22:36:54 UTC 2016

Milton;

With all respect there was no confusion within Council when it unanimously adopted this Resolution, though there does seem to be some confusion in other quarters about what it actually says.

A prior version of the Resolution could have been interpreted as stating a position that budgetary reasons foreclosed the possibility of the Jurisdiction subgroup even considering ICANN organizational jurisdiction. The adopted version instead states the Council's consensus opinion that such exploration could bust the budget, is untimely, and could be destabilizing. But the Resolved clause immediately prior to the one you quote makes clear that budget increases can be contemplated if the Legal Committee deems them "essential to completion of the CCWG's work and objectives". In short, Council has stated an opinion, but that opinion does not bind the subgroup or the legal Committee.

While I agree with your observation that most WS2 subgroups "do not need to hire high-priced lawyers to explore" their issues, Jurisdiction is a conspicuous exception in that any decision to look at alternatives to US incorporation for ICANN would require extensive review of relevant law and regulation in other potential jurisdictions, and any decision to implement a change would likely require significant Bylaws revision.

The Jurisdiction subgroup remains free to do as it wishes, although based upon my participation in recent meetings it seems to have its own growing consensus that ICANN's own jurisdiction is not a priority issue.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW