[Ws2-jurisdiction] Our work so far, and a way forward

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Oct 11 15:37:03 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 11 October 2016 08:20 PM, Mueller, Milton L wrote:

> I don’t think the question of public law is out of consideration.
> There is much talk of “applicable [public] law” when we consider
> dispute resolution/choice of law, for example. However, it is not
> clear how  those issues fit into the “jurisdiction layer” model that
> seems to be clarifying and driving our agenda. So I hope Greg and
> Vinay can weigh in on that issue for us.

That would be eminently useful. Meanwhile I have tried to insert the
issue in the google doc on jurisdictional layers.

> If I understand you correctly, public law issues are analogous to a
> “stress test;” there is no major issue with it now, but we need to
> explore how the new ICANN regime will react if something happens.

Yes and no. It depends on whether you considered the issue of setting up
of outer 'accountability mechanisms' - as were set up earlier in the
process - as analogous to a "stress test". Even there one could say,
there is really no actual issue right now, but one needs to be prepared
for what would happen as some - very likely - issues come up. Same with
the "application of public law" issue - it concerns matters that are
almost structurally imminent, sooner or later, as could have been said
about outer accountability attracting matters. In fact, one can say even
more imminent in case of "public law application" than attracting the
need for activating the outer accountability mechanism . We know that
.xxx and .africa cases are already in the court, and many more would
come as thousands of gTLDs are taken up

> E.g., the European Commission opens an antitrust investigation into
> ICANN, or a (unlikely) Trump administration pushes a bill through
> Congress re-regulating ICANN

Other polities claiming jurisdiction over ICANN - like in your EU
example, is one class of problems. These can only be avoided if all
jurisdictions give a prior undertaking that they would not do any such
thing, which generally comes as part of a treaty. But right now I am
less interested in this class of problems, and more in those which are
likely to arise from within the US.

I am not even beginning to think of what a Trump administration may do
-- though in fact the rest of the world should be thinking of it. Core
Internet infrastructure is too important not to get into these kinds of
thoughts. It could be Trump, or another like him in future (allow me to
make a political comment -- the race has been so close that one can
easily say that an equally vicious but a little less stupid Trump could
have quite likely made it to the White House :) ).

I am still only thinking of things that are imminent under any US
administration. You or anyone else hasnt replied to some questions I
have repeatedly raised:

1. What happens if the concerned  US court holds .xxx to be against US's
competition law? Describe the steps that will follow, and how can ICANN
avoid bending its policy making process and authority to the will of the
US state.

2. Same about .africa.

3. With 100s of new gTLDs getting operational, many of them private
closed ones with generic names (but that is hardly the only issue, there
could be many others), is it not obvious that we will be seeing many
court cases around them... What would ICANN do the moment an adverse
judgement comes?

4. What if OFAC doesn’t give licence to ICANN for dealing with a
particular country due to great deterioration of relationships with the US.

5. What if the FCC revises its decision of forbearance about its
authority over Internet addressing system (as it did on the issue of
whether Internet was title one or title two)?

6. There are almost as many US agencies that can exercise mandate over
ICANN's domain name policies as there are sectors that the Internet and
thus its naming system impacts. (ICANN allowed some 'regulatory
policies' to buyers of .pharmacy, and going forward as it also does this
with many other sectoral domain names, all of these can be challenged,
in the courts, as well as with sectoral regulatory bodies). What then?

If you even begin trying to deal with these questions, you will realise
what a volcanic earth we are sitting upon, in refusing to see the public
law jurisdiction issue.

thanks

parminder