[Ws2-jurisdiction] Our work so far, and a way forward

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Oct 16 13:19:36 UTC 2016

As I mentioned, the distinction between public law and private law is
for instance spoken of in many judgements of the highest courts in
India, and is in general understood and public law being that involving
the interests of the state/ society in an issue and private law as only
of specific individual parties. Anyway, since we need to focus on our
task at hand, I will point to what should most matter to us with regard
to this distinction. We are taking about the jurisdiction issue, and
what may need to be and can be done in this regard about the
jurisdiction over  ICANN. In this regard it is most salient that

in the application of public law there is no choice of jurisdiction
available to the parties, and they are subject the jurisdiction of the
state where they are located

in the application of private law, often though not always a choice of
jurisdiction is available to the parties, especially as and if
previously agreed to.

anyway, as Milton says, it is more important to address the kind of
scenarios that I have listed.

thanks, parminder