[Ws2-jurisdiction] CCWG Plenary Topic: Gap Analysis

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Tue Sep 20 10:39:01 UTC 2016

Dear Mathieu and all

Just to complement this info: attached is the second draft report, also available here: https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53783460. The relevant pages are 121-124.

Specifically as to the “gap assessment” this is what is said in our 2nd draft report (page 124):

“1043 Initial gap assessment based on current CCWG-Accountability proposals:

1044 At this point of the work of the CCWG-Accountability, taking into account the comments received, the following issues have been identified for further investigation:

 Requirement 4 (ability to sue and be sued to enforce Bylaws or accountability mechanisms): while some consider this requirement to be necessary, others would avoid as much as possible the use of any single country’s legal system.

 Trade-off between CCWG-Accountability requirements and options under California law, particularly when discussing the community empowerment model.

 Whether IRP decisions against ICANN would be binding despite local jurisdiction decisions.

 Requirement 3 on governing law for contracts with registrars and registries may require further investigation.

1045 While these issues require further investigation, the CCWG-Accountability has not yet conducted a substantive examination of alternative jurisdictions that would better fit its requirements. While some commenters suggest that incorporation of ICANN under other legal systems, such as Swiss not-for-profit, would be beneficial (yet the basis for their assumption remains uncertain), further analysis and deliberation is needed on a fact-based approach to be entertained during Work Stream 2.

1046 Next steps

1047 Consideration of jurisdiction in Work Stream 2 will include:

 Confirming and assessing the gap analysis, clarifying all concerns regarding the multi-layer jurisdiction issue.

 Identifying potential alternatives and benchmarking their ability to match all CCWG-Accountability requirements them with the current framework.

 Consider potential Work Stream 2 recommendations based on the conclusions of this analysis.

1048 The timeline considered for this work is consistent with the overall approach for Work Stream 2. A specific subgroup of the CCWG-Accountability will be formed and, while reporting to the CCWG-Accountability as a whole, tasked to undertake the steps described above. Two periods of public comments are envisaged, around ICANN55 and ICANN56. Recommendations will be submitted by ICANN57.„

Best

Jorge