[Ws2-jurisdiction] Items for CCWG-Plenary: (1) Place of Incorporation

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Tue Sep 20 18:53:49 UTC 2016

Hi Greg,

I tend to agree with your positions 90+% of the time, but here I respectfully agree with Pedro about not bringing these questions to the full CCWG until the sub-team has fully analyzed them and drawn up a position on them, if possible. That may take some time.

I have been largely offline yesterday and most of today for personal reasons and would have been regrettably unable to contribute to the discussion this morning if it had come up – as it happened we ran out of time, as you know.

To me, bringing a question or questions to the full plenary should proceed under a certain process, perhaps like this:

First, that the sub-team take enough time to fully analyze an issue;

Next, that the sub-team formulate the question(s) to be posed to the CCWG as crisply as possible and post them to the full CCWG well in advance of the plenary meeting (two weeks?); and,

Finally that the sub-team identify persons to present each contested point of view to the full CCWG (the rapporteurs could fill that role but the point would be that each side get a brief but fair presentation to the plenary).

I know we need to keep an eye on the timeline but these are important questions and I feel that the sub-team may be able to do more. I also think it likely that the full CCWG will be less informed than we are on sub-team issues and we need to present in such a way that we don’t in effect raise issues that have already been settled.

David

David McAuley
International Policy Manager
Verisign Inc.