[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: The Gap Analysis: Question, Method and Objective -- Proposal for Comment

Pedro Ivo Ferraz da Silva pedro.ivo at itamaraty.gov.br
Thu Sep 29 05:44:13 UTC 2016

Dear Greg,

Thank you for the proposal.

As I said on our last call, I believe it is rather premature to start a "gap hunting" exercise before we have a common understanding of what a gap is and how we should look for them in the WS1 report. The mere fact that some colleagues in this subgroup foresee that no gaps will be identified - simply because the contracted law firms haven't explicitly identified any or because in a way or another all accountability requirements found an implementation mechanism under California non-profit law - shows that we still lack a more detailed discussion of what we are really looking for here.

To my understanding, this shouldn't be a binary exercise where our conclusion is simply "there are gaps"/"there are no gaps". It should rather be a honest and impartial evaluation as to what extent a requirement has been implemented and whether there are options to implement them in a more efficient or straightforward manner. I would be happy to discuss this more extensively with our subgroup colleagues so that we can reach a common starting ground - and a commonly agreed method - for the exercise to come.

Kind regards,

Pedro