[Ws2-jurisdiction] Issues List

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 1 05:33:13 UTC 2017

Greg/ All

First of all, it is necessary for me to state that my continued
engagement with this process is "under protest", and I cannot reconcile
with the deliberate and unacceptable procedural mishap whereby the
chairs unilaterally changed the mandate of this group, which was arrived
at through processes of intricate negotiations and adjustments, and
promises. It was not only a complete breach of faith, but will remain a
permanent black mark on ICANN processes, and their vaunted openness and
inclusiveness. When at the start of the IANA transition process many
people raised the jurisdiction question (as in application of US public
law, and not just private law) they were hoodwinked and told that this
topic will indeed be discussed but since IANA transition was not
dependent on it (rightly so) it belonged to workstream 2. And in
workstream 2 when people asked the subject to be taken up in earnest,
the chairs interceded out of nowhere to abolish it from the mandate.
Majority of people who responded to this interjection by chairs -
whether in this elist, or at the f2f meeting - expressed reservations
with the process (other than a small US based group, which has a
conflict of interest on the issue in the matter of discussing ICANN's
jurisdiction issue). So, this really is ICANN, and its participatory
culture!!

Having got that off my head, but really more needed to be expressed as a
matter of form:

Greg, there was the google doc on issues, where I had submitted a list
of 5-6 core issues long back that I see this group should address. Can I
see that doc with that earlier version again. Where is that doc now, and
why this list is being prepared de novo.... I remember that midway
Kavouss also made an elaborate list of issues in an email..... We may
not agree on adopting one solution or the other, but people do have a
right to list what are the issues and problems according to them. And
also you can see the composition of this group, some of us from
developing countries have limited presence and accordingly limited time
and we cannot keep responding to newer and newer processes. I will
request to bring back the original list of issues that we have been
arguing for months here. I am surprised at this truncated self-serving
list of issues.

parminder