[Ws2-jurisdiction] OFAC: Background Reading -- a few FAQs and Overviews

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 1 07:06:56 UTC 2017

On Tuesday 01 August 2017 12:17 PM, Nigel Roberts wrote:
> It is going to depend up whether ICANN engages in transactions with
> that person (and 'person' is construed here as "legal or natural
> person") that are "prohibited transactions" within the meaning of the
> legislation, isn't it>

right

> If it's not a matter covered by the legislation, then, er, it's not a
> matter covered by the legislation.

right again. But ICANN legal would know the nature of ICANNs
transactions with gTLDs and ccTLDs, right? And should also know, and if
they dont should find out, if these transactions are within OFAC
legislation as prohibited transactions  . I would be most surprised,
with such solid legal presence, if ICANN has still not formed a view on
whether or not its transactions would be covered under OFAC. But in any
case nice to know whether they have or not, and so a good question for
ICANN legal.

> In practice,what is going to matter for any US private company (and
> ICANN is just a US private company)

Alas!! But lets not get distracted.....

> is compliance -- in other words that they can be sure that they are
> above board. And that inevitably requires inquiry and documentation.
>
> If I were a Board member or senior member of staff, I wouldn't want to
> go to gaol . . .

Right. But still not getting you..... Is it therefore not right to ask
ICANN legal the question that I framed for them?