[Ws2-jurisdiction] Partial immunity

Schweighofer Erich erich.schweighofer at univie.ac.at
Mon Aug 21 12:23:27 UTC 2017

Greg,

the issues are:

  *   Acceptance of ICANN’s decisions in its core competences by international actors, mostly States and Supranational Organisations (e.g. blocking of some gTLDs by States or EU Commission statement not to  accept ICANN decisions in the New gTLD process if it considers such decisions against EU competition law)
  *   Non-interference of international actors in ICANN’s core activities (e.g. “closing” of registrars in some countries due to OFAC decisions; establishing a mostly national internet system)
  *   Securing the enforceability of the multi-stakeholder model and the accountability process (presently by California law and as such so far without alternatives).
  *   Securing the enforceability of ICANN’s registry contracts by choosing the appropriate law and forum
“Partial immunity” as a remedy means that ICANN and the ICANN Community are seeking for necessary exceptions from national jurisdiction, mostly in a case-by-case process (e.g. the OFAC issue). A full immunity arrangement is possible in some countries but difficult to achieve nowadays. For the U.S. jurisdiction, it is impossible because it would close down the enforceability of the multi-stakeholder model and we have to find a new one under international law that may be very challenging.

Best regards,
Erich