[Ws2-jurisdiction] Issue 2, Non interference of States in ccTLDs of other States

Pär Brumark brumark at telia.com
Tue Aug 22 12:20:01 UTC 2017

Niue fully agrees, Kavouss!

To be honest, the question of national jurisdictional sovereignty
regarding choice of ccTLD management is a core issue that for a very
long time has been "the elephant in the room".

The subject was avoided in during my presence in CCWG WS1 and moved to
CCWG WS2.

There are of course a few in the ccNSO who wishes to kill all
discussions on the topic, there are also some who regards it as an
ideological question.

Representing Niue, I represent one of the worst cases where a small
nation can not even afford risking a long drawn legal court battle due
to the continuously vague formulations in the ccTLD framework.

A nation that does not even have the economical means for a
re-delegation request due to current uncertainty.

The difficulties, uncertainty and rationale surrounding the issue is
very, very hard to explain to anyone outside ICANN (including Government
Officials of many Countries).

To put it simple:

Would the US or any other larger nation accept a hostile entity have
total control over it´s ccTLD? I believe not.

Best Regards,

Pär Brumark, GAC Representative, Niue