[Ws2-jurisdiction] RES: ISSUE: US Jurisdiction over ICANN's activities that comply with GAC advice or that are otherwise based on powers or prerogatives recognised onto Governments under ICANN's multistakeholder governance model

Thiago Braz Jardim Oliveira thiago.jardim at itamaraty.gov.br
Wed Aug 23 03:06:09 UTC 2017

Dear Milton,

Thank you very much for your reply and comments, which I take as constructive.

The idea behind the proposal for recommending the creation of a dispute settlement mechanism, in the ways I suggested, was to ensure that there are accountability mechanisms applicable to ICANN's activities that are to become immune from local courts, according to the other part of the proposal, which I hope you do not object to.

My main concern, precisely, was to propose a solution that meets ICANN's accountability goals, namely by coupling, on the one hand, the necessary immunity from US jurisdiction of ICANN's activities that are subject of GAC advice with, on the other hand, the provision of a compulsory and independent substitute for US courts.

But to the extent that ICANN's existing dispute settlement mechanisms are satisfactory, and I trust you are right, there will indeed be no need to recommend that ICANN establishes new such mechanisms, whose creation, in any case, I agree should result from a bottom-up multi-stakeholder policy development process.

Please be assured of my willingness to come to solutions that enhance ICANN's accountability to the global community, whereby no single individual stakeholder, group or country has the power to unilaterally impact on the operation of ICANN's public global activities.

It is indeed with this spirit that the proposal I submitted, and willingly amend and clarify in view of your remarks, is aimed primarily at recommending that ICANN seeks jurisdictional immunity in respect of the public policy activities it performs in pursuance of GAC advice, so that the courts of no single country, individually, sit in judgment over ICANN's activities that actively involve (all) other countries. The settlement of disputes relating to these activities, in turn, would be left to ICANN's own dispute settlement mechanisms, whose outcome should not be interfered with by domestic courts.

Best regards,

Thiago