[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE - unilateral jurisdiction of one country over ICANN

Schweighofer Erich erich.schweighofer at univie.ac.at
Wed Aug 23 06:22:09 UTC 2017

Very right, Milton.

>From the site of internet users (the remit of ALAC), our goal should non-inference of international entities in ICANN’s core activities. Decisions of ICANN should be stable – after an efficient redress procedure – and not be challenged by States and Supranational Organisations anymore and also – considering ongoing thoughts in international humanitarian law – not subject to sanction regimes.

Each state can decide who runs its ccTLD, respecting rights to property, but too much insistence on sovereignty means also that it may be subject to sanctions.

As I mentioned before, immunity in international law is slowly going to be reduced to necessity (a very difficult process); thus pragmatic work on non-interference (e.g. some partial immunity) should be the goal. A general OFAC licence may be the first (and not the last) example. Other important work has to be done in courts that they accept ICANN’s special status.

Best, Erich