[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Wed Aug 23 07:23:41 UTC 2017

As I think should be clear, of course I can't do that since there is
just no such legal rule (statute or decided case).

Your analogy would, naturally, be one of the arguments that might be
advance in any possible future Claim seeking to advance a proposition
like that in the Weinstein case. There would no doubt be counter-argument.

Since, as yet, there has been no such Claim, let alone a judgment from
which a ratio can be extracted, and absent any statutory provision (of
which I'm not aware of any) it's just not part of the law

And before you can argue about in rem at all, you first need to
establish that a ccTLD is propert and that in rem is relevant (see below).

Respected academic opinion /might/ tend to suggest that ccTLDs /may/ be
property. I personally suspect that a ccTLD delegation would be
considered to be a particular kind of 'thing' if the matter were
considered in England. I would start the legal reasoning with a quote
from Jonathan Sumption QC (as he then was) in British Telecommunications
Plc and Telecom Securicor Cellular Radio Ltd -v- One in a Million and
others CH 1997 B.5421

But that's all it is at this stage,  an opinion.

In other words, there's still no authority even for the contention that
ccTLDs are property, let alone whether in rem jurisdiction applies to
such property (which we are not yet sure IS property, yet).

In any event,unless I am misinformed (since US statute law generally
outwith my areas of knowledge) in rem jurisdiction is a statutory
construct of the ACPA and not something that can be applied willy-nilly.

So unless you are adopting a strained construction of the statute, I
suspect it is very likely that no TLD (whether ccTLD or gTLD) is subject
to its provisions.

I have also found the following paper quite interesting when informing
myself about in rem jurisdiction under the ACPA.

See  Michael X. Liu, Jurisdictional Limits of in rem Proceedings Against
Domain Names, 20 Mich. Telecomm. & Tech. L. Rev. 467 (2014).
Available at: http://repository.law.umich.edu/mttlr/vol20/iss2/5