[Ws2-jurisdiction] ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Aug 23 12:31:00 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 23 August 2017 05:37 PM, farzaneh badii wrote:
> In the .IR case, the court did not decide on whether ccTLD is a
> property or not. Anyhow, I do not think we should go into that
> discussion. I think the important thing to find out is whether the
> court case in .IR is precedential.
>
> I don't think the second part of your solution would work Thiago, if
> jurisdictional immunity is not granted to ccTLDs ( I don't know how we
> can get such jurisdictional immunity and don't forget that some ccTLD
> managers are totally private and not government run).

Jurisdictional immunity, in my understanding, is to be given to ICANN,
including in terms of its ccTLD related actions, and not to ccTLDs or
its managers

> The below might not be enforceable:
>
> "ICANN Bylaws an exclusive choice of forum provision, whereby disputes
> relating to the management of any given ccTLD by ICANN shall be
> settled exclusively in the courts of the country to which the ccTLD in
> question refer."
>
> First of all not many ccTLDs have contracts with ICANN. Secondly, in
> third party claims or disputes, for example in case of initiating
> attachment of a ccTLD as an enforcement of a monetary compensation,
> this clause might be challenged and might very well be ineffective.

Agree, choice of law provisions only apply to adjudicating on terms of a
given private contract (private law) and not on public law related
proceedings .