[Ws2-jurisdiction] [EXTERNAL] Re: ISSUE: In rem Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Thu Aug 24 14:38:51 UTC 2017

Yes, Becky this is correct, ACPA is an anti-cybersquatting law for trademark protection and was written with second-level domains in mind.
I guess it is possible that a gTLD would be subject to ACPA - but if and only if someone managed to cybersquat a trademark in the TLD level. And since ICANN's TLD awarding process is so heavily biased toward trademark owners, it is unlikely that a TM-violating TLD (say, giving .IBM to Parminder) would ever happen. But if it did, I supposed it could be applied. I can't see how it could ever be applied to a ccTLD.