[Ws2-jurisdiction] [Common denominator] ISSUE: Jurisdiction over ccTLDs

Olawale Bakare wales.baky at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 25 18:20:20 UTC 2017

All,

Thank you, Thiago for your comment.

Would I agree with you on your comment with respect to immunity? Should we
not worry about the unforeseeable future risks? Why not? And what are these
concerns?
I would want this group read the full presentation made by Sam Eisner
again. In the mean time here is the excerpt from the presentation:

*....So in general OFAC prohibits providing goods and services to countries
under sanctions and on the SDN list.  So it implies generally OFAC applies
generally to those who fall under the jurisdiction of the U.S.  So
businesses here or U.S. citizens.  And if companies or people don't comply,
the repercussions are actually very high.  So an not only can there be
fines that can go into the millions but this is actually a matter of
criminal liability in some cases.  And so, you know, if a company like
ICANN were to not follow the OFAC requirements you could find an officer
going to jail for that...*

Why not focus on the draft of the proposal to ICANN, detailing the
recommendation agreed on at yesterday's meeting, mirroring the OFAC
presentation of 1st August meeting. As well as the draft of the application
for general OFAC license for individuals, who are ICANN customers residing
in those affected countries on the SDN list.
Again, the chances of making a successful application should certainly be
hinged on not just the premise of the legal argument therein by the ICANN
legal team but the practical analysis around the complex DNS systems - Root
DNS Servers, TLD Servers, and Authoritative Servers.

With regards,
Wale

On 24 Aug 2017 19:39, "Thiago Braz Jardim Oliveira" <