[Ws2-jurisdiction] Hypothetical #1 for Review and Discussion by Subgroup

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 9 07:01:16 UTC 2017

On Wednesday 01 February 2017 05:10 AM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> Thanks for your views, Parminder.
>
> I'll look forward to everyone's responses to the hypothetical, the
> strawman responses, Parminder's response, and any other responses.  If
> you are a participant in this group, it really behooves you to jump
> into this discussion.
>
> I won't reply to Parminder's specific response; I'd rather that other
> members do that.  However, I have a couple of "big picture"
> observations that I'd like to share, and see if people think there is
> merit in them (or not).

Greg, thanks for your response. I like the way to stake up various
premises and their relationship with one another. Find my responses below.

> I think there's an overarching premise or presumption that's being
> missed here.  That is the presumption that ICANN should be subject to
> the rule of law; more specifically, that ICANN should be subject to
> antitrust laws and intellectual property laws and privacy laws and
> health laws and labor laws and civil rights laws and anti-corruption
> laws, etc., etc.

I have no doubt that ICANN should be subject to rule of law (as against
rule by persons). I also agree that it comes even before the premise
that ICANN should be subject to democratic rule of law, but then please
do not entirely forget or ignore the "democratic" part, which your
response unfortunately does. Rule of democratically written law is a
close second to the need for rule of law in the first place. I request
the group to also focus on this part.

I can see three kinds of (rule of) laws that ICANN should be subject to

1. Private law, as would cover ICANN's internal working and its external
private contracts

2. Criminal law, which pertains to fraud and such things

3. Larger regulatory public law, as in areas like anti-trust,
intellectual property, privacy, health, labour etc.

As we have discussed here earlier, category 1 is a matter of choice for
ICANN, and it can stay to be US/ Californian law, or as otherwise agreed
between ICANN and a contracting party.

About category 2, the law of domicile of ICANN would apply, which again
would be US, premised on ICANN staying in the US (which I do not have a
problem with)

This brings us to category 3, which is the real issue here. Most
international organisations do not undertake a directly executing
function, and even if they do it pertains to a narrow sectoral realm and
the corresponding rules are written simultaneously by the concerned
international body. The "Internet sector" however is a cross cutting or
meta one, impacting almost all other sectors. ICANN's policies of
assigning domain names also impact all sectors. This brings it into a
possible relationship with laws of all sectors. Yes, this is somewhat
unique. But as we developed unique global mutistakeholder mechanisms for
management of critical Internet resources, so do we need innovative and
bold approaches to the law and public policy, or jurisdictional, aspect
of Internet's core resources management. But to do with by going forward
rather than backwards on the key principle of public governance, that is
democracy.

In this background, it is not acceptable, as you propose, that ICANN
should be subject to US anti-trust, intellectual property, health,
labor, etc laws (in terms of ICANN's substantive policies and not its
personnel etc as located in the US). National laws are made with
national interest in mind, and US national interest does not fully
overlap with global public interest (as the world's most powerful
country, it does not often even substantially overlap). This is another
important premise that must be followed through. This premise can be
proved in many ways.

What then is the alternative? That is what we must focus upon. ICANN has
a constitutional commitment to follow international agreements. Most
issues related to ICANN policies can be adjudicated with reference to
wisdom existing in these international agreements, which cover most
social sectors.  In addition, for areas that ICANN policies may need
clearer legal guidance, the necessary legal principles can be written in
newly made international law. (Tunis Agenda clearly calls for
"development of globally-applicable principles on public policy issues
associated with the coordination and management of critical Internet
resources" para 70.) And to adjudicate based on these international
laws, we need a new global judicial system. Efforts for global judiciary
has been made recently, like in the case of International Criminal Court
.... Internet, as a new, fundamentally global phenomenon is the right
area to go further in this direction. We must come up with creative
thinking for this. For me, some kind of an Internet/ digital bench of
International Court of Justice, specially mandated for this purpose by
an international agreement, appears to be a good solution. But there can
be others.

In the interim, one would expect the ICANN board to work in consonance
with international agreements and laws in various sectors. Since it is a
commitment under its bylaws, this can also be taken to the current
appeals/arbitration processes (which being fundamentally designed for
economic/ civil matters, I find not appropriate as a permanent
arrangement for adjudicating various public law issues). In any case,
GAC is supposed to advice on various public policy matters, and that
should be based on international law, plus ad hoc inter-gov agreement in
GAC over areas of gap.

We should divest ICANN of US jurisdictional control as soon as possible
(which is /now/), as we launch on these globally democratic
institutional developments to take care of public law/ policy aspects of
ICANN's working. In the interim, enough institutional mechanisms exist
for ICANN to address new, unexpected situations in this regard,, with
community mechanisms, GAC, IRP, etc.

parminder