[Ws2-jurisdiction] Blog post on ICANN's jurisdiction

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Sun Feb 19 18:07:48 UTC 2017

Parminder said:

The travel bans make the simple but clear point that a nation will use its legal machinery for all purposes that it considers being in national interest, no matter if that rides roughshod over the interests of people from other countries. The many lessons from this for the issue of ICANN being under US jurisdiction are rather obvious....

MM reply: It is obvious that your use of the indefinite article is correct: “a nation will use…” That is, ANY nation will or might use. So moving jurisdiction out of the US does not change this problem in the slightest. Indeed, it could make it worse, as I can offhand think of 8-10 nations that would make it worse. I think this is the point you keep missing.

Dr. Milton L. Mueller
Professor, School of Public Policy
Georgia Institute of Technology